10 Great Reasons Why Our Time Is Valuable
*Disclosure: This article may have affiliate links, so I may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through a link.
The relatively short amount of time each of us has defines how long we are alive. Sounds logical, right? But how come we tend to waste it in so many ways?
Our perception of time varies. As children, we feel that time can’t pass away fast enough. And as we get older, we seem to run after it all the way. Why?
Filled with chores and tasks that we don’t enjoy, our life becomes complicated, hectic, and stressful. If we don’t find our values and set priorities, time will always run against us.
Fact is, time and life are tied together and also limited. If we recognize that time is our most valuable resource, we can start to live life to the fullest.
Let’s explore some great reasons why time is valuable, why you should not waste it, why respecting it matters, and how you can make the best out of it.
In This Post
1. We never know how much time we have left
2. Time is a non-renewable resource
3. Nothing can escape time
4. Time defines our values
5. Time affects our wellbeing
6. Time forms relationships
7. Time with other people influences you
8. Time builds skills
9. Optimizing time is powerful
10. Time is a healer and the best teacher
Why Time Is Valuable And Why We Should Not Waste It
1. We Never Know How Much Time We Have Left
Though our watches tell us the time time, it doesn't show how much time we have left to live.
Every one of us can be here today and gone tomorrow - forever. Life and death are tied together, and no one can know when we need to say goodbye or if we even get the chance to do so.
Knowing that we all die one day is the best reminder we can have in our daily lives. It keeps us focused on what is essential and what is real.
It shows how crucial it is to respect our given time on earth and appreciate every aspect of life. We should think about its value and, from now on, look at it from a different angle.
We should not fear time either but be grateful for every new day. And we should embrace the fact this life is short and unpredictable. Knowing this, we must focus on living a happy life, every day.
Not in a reckless way, but try to give your all in everything you do today, as it can always be the last day.
1. Start every day with gratitude.
2. Remember that time is precious, and you should not waste it.
3. Don’t fear time but embrace that life is short, and you can make every day count.
2. Time Is A Non-Renewable Resource
Let’s face the truth that every hour that passes is gone forever. We cannot rewind in the timeline and do things again, erase the past, or do something different.
Once the present turns into the past, the story cannot be re-written. So we must value time as our most precious resource. Unlikely money or other resources, we can’t get it back.
All stuff that we see as necessities are renewable. That is why things can never be that important, and we should not give them too much meaning. Time is what we should treasure most.
That is the reason why I want everybody to live more minimally. So that you have more time for more valuable aspects of life, like love, relationships, adventures, and memorable experiences.
1. Remind yourself that your time is limited and you cannot get it back
2. Use this most valuable resource to write a story that you will be happy to read.
3. Focus on experiences and adventures, not things.
3. Nothing Can Escape Time
Everything is bound to time - animals, plants, and we humans. Whatever we do, the time is always ticking and keeps on running.
It never stands still. Everything changes over time, whether we want or not.
As our days cannot repeat, this truth makes our decisions with how we see and use our time more significant.
The very best way to make the most out of your time is to reduce excess tasks, obligations, and stuff in your life. Simplify wherever you can!
A simple life enables you to focus on what you love and enjoy your precious time.
1. Accept that everything changes over time.
2. Simplify everything so that you can concentrate on the few things that matter most.
3.Practice making wise day-to-day decisions.
4. Time Defines Our Values
Time shows what becomes of us in 1, 10, or 50 and more years. How we use it defines what we value the most.
Therefore you should always reflect if the task at hand will contribute to what you value.
1. Find the values you want to live according to.
2. Determine your goals (short and long term). Without goals, you waste time.
3. Always ask yourself: is this task I am doing aligned with my values?
5. Time Affects Our Wellbeing
Reflecting on the value of time in every aspect of our life, we can say that we highly depend on it.
Our wellbeing is defined by how long we work, how long we rest, how much time we spend doing what we love. It is affected by how much positivity or negativity we let into our life over time.
Again, this highlights that time is too precious to keep dwelling on past events or worrying about the future. Being always concerned about time makes us miserable in the long run.
For a healthy and joyful life, we should practice being present, value every given day, and treasure the simple things in front of us.
1. Cut back on things you don’t want to do.
2. Practice reducing your thoughts about the past and the future.
3. Focus on what is in front of you, be present. You will experience more joy and boost your productivity.
6. Time Forms Relationships
Speaking of wellbeing, time with people that matter to us affects us massively. And it takes commitment and effort to build healthy friendships or romantic partnerships.
Just as developing new skills, investing in healthy relationships can take years before they get deep and solid. Sometimes we get influenced by people that don’t do us any good.
Then we realize that we have just wasted time on shallow and toxic relationships. Healthy relationships are made or broken depending on how much time you invest.
Therefore we should be very mindful of spending our time with people we care about. Foster good relationships, and you will never feel lonely.
Spare some amount of time to help others too. Helping someone is one of the most powerful characters to have and is a sign of treasuring relationships.
1. Remind yourself that stuff will not make you happy, but relationships will.
2. Healthy relationships need time to get strong, be patient.
3. Help other people.
7. Time With Other People Influences You
There is a saying that you are the average of the five people you spend most of your time with.
It means if you find yourself miserable with where you stand right now, you may be surrounding yourself with people who have bad influences.
As time is valuable, there is no room for toxic people. If you want to live a happy, successful, and fulfilling life, don’t surround yourself with energy-killers.
That is the worst thing to do. Invest your time and energy with positive and uplifting people. If they fully align with you and your values, they will support you in living the life you want to live.
1. Keep in mind that people who surround you can harm you.
2. Try to cut all energy-killers in your life.
3. Spend time with positive people.
8. Time Builds Skills
Learning skills takes time. No one becomes a musician or a neural doctor overnight.
Understanding that repeating consistently, whatever you want to be good at, is key to forming expertise.
Skills are impacted by how much time you invest in learning them. Unluckily, this applies in unproductive ways too. If you train to be lazy, you’ll be an expert in being lazy.
It highlights the importance of time that you should not waste it. Building powerful skills requires being efficient with time and is all about establishing good habits.
Once you start valuing your time, you will get motivated to cultivate more and more healthy habits.
1. If you want to become great at something, time is your best companion.
2. Be patient. If you spend time on the right things every day, you will get better or best.
3. Cultivate healthy habits that align with your goals and values.
9. Optimizing Time Is Powerful
Time management helps you throughout life - especially when you want to balance family, career, and leisure time.
Planning wise enables you to make the best out of your hours snd improves your mental health.
Being efficient with time is all about cultivating good habits. Managing it poorly or well has a massive impact on life.
Evaluate all tasks in a day and don’t waste it on ones you don’t want to complete to make more time for the ones that matter.
Nothing is worth your time if it doesn’t make you happy or better now or in the future as a result of doing it.
If you find tasks that don’t contribute to your plans, don’t make time for it.
1. Start planning your days, months, and years in a journal or calendar. Those who plan save themselves a lot of time.
2. Don’t bother with things that don’t bring you joy now or later.
3. Manage your time wisely and make more space for more fulfilling tasks.
10. Time Is A Healer And The Best Teacher
Everything that causes mental or physical pain fades over time.
Even the perception of the greatest sorrows we encounter dulls with the help of time.
It also creates experience and teaches us what no one else can do. It shows us what is safe or destructive, helpful or harmful, and inspiring or passionless for us.
Time and experience let us make better decisions to improve our quality of life quality.
1. Have faith that pain and sorrow decreases over time.
2. Reflect on what you have experienced, and you know what you can do better in the future.
Many simple things in life show why time is so valuable. Nothing is worth spending our time in if it doesn’t make us happy.
We should always live aligned to our goals and values and be ourselves. We have no time for negative people. Surrounding ourselves with positive people ensures that we don't waste time.
We can use our time to our advantage. Managing it wisely to plan our days, cultivate good habits, and build useful skills enables us to live life as best as possible.
Remember, one day, we will be gone. That is why we should live it fully, starting now.
How do you show that your time is valuable? Feel free to share your thoughts below.